Dr. Thorsten Streibel
Fields of Research
- mass-spectrometric real-time-detection of organic trace components in pyrolysis and combustion gases
- thermal behaviour and characterisation of fossil and biogenic fuels
- organic components of particulate matter
Processes for the generation of energy out of fossil and regenerative fuels are connected to adverse effects for human health and the environment as well as to impairments of mechanical parts of combustion devices. The detailed investigation of the mechanisms and sources is in the focus of the research activities. For this, it is necessary to characterize the formation and distribution of organic trace components from such processes.
Among the applied methods are the real time analysis of pyrolysis and combustion gases by means of photo-ionization mass spectrometry (PIMS) to reflect the high dynamic of the processes. Furthermore, the molecular characterization and the thermal behavior of the fuels are important. For this, hyphenated methods are exerted and advanced such as the coupling of devices for thermal analysis, pyrolysis and thermal desorption with PIMS, sometimes incorporating chromatographic techniques. Such hyphenated methods also allow the investigation of the organic pattern of particulate emissions and deposits in component parts.
Emissions of car engines, ship diesel engines, biomass combustion and pyrolysis are among the targeted systems. In addition the formation of solid deposits in diesel and oil burning is researched.
- 1995 Diploma (chemistry) at the chair of chemical technics, University of Karlsruhe
- 1995/96 Freelancer at ROG GmbH in Hirschhorn
- 2001 Graduation (Dr. rer. nat.) at the chair of chemical technics, University of Karlsruhe
- 2002-2008 Research associate at the University of Augsburg, chair of analytical chemistry and the Helmholtz Zentrum München, Institute of environmental chemistry
- since 2008 Research associate at the chair of analytical chemistry, University of Rostock
Streibel T, Weh J, Mitschke S, Zimmermann R. Thermal desorption/pyrolysis coupled with photoionization time-of-flight mass spectrometry for the analysis of molecular organic compounds and oligomeric and polymeric fractions in urban particulate matter. Analytical Chemistry 2006;78(15):5354–61.
Bente M, Sklorz M, Streibel T, Zimmermann R. Thermal desorption-multiphoton ionization time-of-flight mass spectrometry of individual aerosol particles: A simplified approach for online single-particle analysis of polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons and their derivatives. Analytical Chemistry 2009;81(7):2525–36.
Streibel T, Geißler R, Saraji-Bozorgzad M, Sklorz M, Kaisersberger E, Denner T, Zimmermann R. Evolved gas analysis (EGA) in TG and DSC with single photon ionisation mass spectrometry (SPI-MS): Molecular organic signatures from pyrolysis of soft and hard wood, coal, crude oil and ABS polymer. Journal of Thermal Analysis and Calorimetry 2009;96(3):795–804.
University of Rostock
Institute of Chemistry
Division of Analytical and Technical Chemistry
Dr. Thorsten Streibel
Tel.: +49 (0) 381 498 - 6536